Saturday, February 27, 2010

Crocus

First crocus of 2010!


Alpine strawberry has its first blossom. Preschooler will be so excited!



These green onions over-wintered in the garden. Late last summer, I realized that I can just cut the greens off the tops and let the plants grow some more. I used to just pull the whole plant out because that is how they are sold in the market. So now I can just plant once for the year and keep harvesting from the same plants, which means I don't need a lot of successive plantings and the space that takes up. I did pull these plants out though because I needed to clear the garden of weeds and it was easier to do without trying to get around these plants. I'll try to transplant some back and see how they do. In any case, it was very nice to have some of my own fresh green onions from the garden in February.

Ahh here is that same crocus from above, this time wide awake with the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment