Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Almost fenced in!

We've been pretty busy around here. Husband is working feverishly to finish fencing in the rest of the back yard. It will be so great when it is done because then I can be outside with my toddler and she won't be able to escape! I haven't had much time for outside work lately since I'm with the kids from wake to sleep while their daddy is working on that fence. So I'm just checking in with some updates on my seedlings.

Outside:

The peas have not been doing too well. I only have 3 or 4 sprouts. Maybe some of the seed rotted in the ground. I will seed them again and also plan to start some indoors in peat pots which I can then transplant directly to the ground. I will also experiment with pre-soaking the seeds. We have a HUGE slug population and I was a little late with the bait. Hopefully things get better.

No carrots to be seen yet. There are some radish tops though. I'll dig one up in a couple weeks to see how big they are getting.

Inside with the little greenhouse domes, things are going great! The seedlings are in a very sunny south facing window. I am very happy to list what has started growing:

1. Miniature red peppers!!!! Now if I can just keep them alive.
2. Roma and Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
3. Broccoli
4. Chives
5. Green onions
6. Basil
7. Oregano
8. Alpine strawberries
9. Lots of lettuce

Most of these I will transfer to nursery pots to let them grow bigger before they get in the ground. I need them to be big enough to have a fighting chance against the slugs and the elements.

I've been happy with our new Earth Machine composter. All the fruit and veggie peels are being put to work out there, but I guess it won't be till next year when I can reap the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment