Thursday, July 9, 2009

Taking Care of Itself!

Well, of course the garden can't totally take care of itself, but it sure feels like the hard part is over. Most everything is seeded and growing. The fertilizer has been added. All I have to do now is keep things watered and picked. Then there are all those weeds that are enjoying the water as well. I will admit I'm not keeping them under control as well as I'd like. But with a needy baby and busy toddler, I have to let some things go. I pull a few weeds when I can. This is such a nice time. We have been enjoying some harvest for over a month now and things just keep growing.


The only vegetable produce we are buying are onions. The rest of our vegetables with dinner are from the garden. That has meant a lot of salads, but the salads have chopped green onions and fresh peas on top. And since I'm growing four kinds of lettuce, we always have a variety on the plate. I was under the impression that the lettuce would bolt by now, but the first set is still growing. I did some succession planting and now we have 16 heads of lettuce! All still going strong. So, anyway, we may have salad every night, but at least we didn't get it at the grocery store. Soon we will have so much more to add to the salads. See below!




Cherry tomatoes "Sweet 100." I have four of these plants and they all are full of little green tomatoes. What I love about these are that they are so small that they ripen really quickly. It can't be too long and we'll be tossing these into just about every dish!


Green beans starting to tie themselves on the trellis and climb up. I think it's so cute how they are leaning toward the fence. They really seem to know what they are doing. What a money saver these will be. I saw green beans at the farmer's market for $1.99 a pound. Whatever happened to the saying, "Ain't worth beans?"

Cucumbers. This year I'm growing them on the trellis to save room. They need a little help finding the fence though.


OK this doesn't go on a salad but the hydrangea is blooming! Must have done and OK job with the pruning this spring.




Miniature bell peppers in pots. We have lots of little blossoms. I will be so happy and surprised when we get a pepper to grow up here, especially if I can get some to turn red!


Yes, these are Roma tomatoes! The plants look very healthy.

The whole vegetable garden plot. Still waiting on the broccoli but the peas are feeding us well for the time. The zucchini is really starting to take off. Just heard from my folks 6 hours south of here that they are eating zucchini already. Oh well. We're just a few weeks behind up here in the north parts.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, After hearing about all your lettuce, I wish I would have tryed some. Isn't it great eating what you need and not having to deal with left overs that often get thrown away. That pepper plant you gave us finally has blossoms. But, it is way behind the other pepper plants. ??? The roma tomato plant you left us is doing great. I cut a lot of leafy branches off and revealed 10 tomatoes. I hadn't seen any of them until then. Sounds like you are enjoying growing things. I got a chuckle out of your comment on beans. Still, to me, whether vegetable gardening saves us money or not, I would rather spend time messing around in the garden than a lot of other things that people do for R&R. And somehow, home grown always seems to taste better. We had beets last night, and they were so good. Well, It's time to go pick some strawberries. Hope to see you soon. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I copied you and went out and cut off leafy branches from my tomato plants. Now I hope I didn't do too much. Prunning can be addictive. Well they do still have tons of leaves. Do the tomato fruits need to be in the sun or shade or does it not matter? Now many are in the sun. Is this prunning supposed to make them grow more tomatoes instead of leaves? Maybe I should have asked you how to do it first. Now I'll just have to wait and see if I caused any damage!

    ReplyDelete